Open opportunities at Time Out Australia
Time Out is looking for energetic people who love their cities to join our expanding teams across commercial, content and video in Sydney and Melbourne.
Jobs listed here are open to all Australian residents with work rights. We especially encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Editor, Time Out Melbourne
Do you live and breathe Melbourne? Are you bursting with ideas for stories and love events, going out and celebrating our gorgeous city? We’re looking for an experienced and tenacious new editor to lead Time Out’s Melbourne team. The position is full time and based in our CBD Melbourne office.
The editor should already have their finger on the pulse of Melbourne and be ready to hit the ground running with original feature ideas that connect our audience with the most exciting events, venues, arts, hospitality and experiences in their city. They’ll already have an extensive network of contacts and will be confident managing and editing the work of some of Australia’s finest lifestyle journalists. The position involves managing a team of three full-time writers, along with a network of freelancers, under supervision.
The editor must also have a deep understanding of how to inspire audiences in the digital space and make even the most esoteric and challenging events and venues seem accessible and essential. They will have extensive experience with social media and will know how to craft the perfect Facebook sell or Instagram post. They will be an eager brand ambassador for Time Out, who wants to represent the company at events and functions in the best possible light, in person and on social media. And of course, they’ll be a team player, who loves sharing their knowledge with the wider team and is willing to collaborate closely with editorial staff on content that engages an entire city.
The editor will be required to maintain Time Out’s extensive event listings and guides to Melbourne’s culture. From time to time, the editor will also lend their expertise to commercial briefs and assist the commercial team to take advantage of business leads. At the same time, they’ll know how to maintain the editorial integrity that has made Time Out a leader in the lifestyle space for more than 50 years, and ensure the independence of its coverage.
To apply for this job, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, a cover letter, 5 examples of published work and 3 pitches for stories you think would work for Time Out Melbourne. Only email applications will be read. No applications via Seek, LinkedIn or any other means will be considered.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum three years journalism experience, ideally in lifestyle media
- Wide practical experience and are exercising advanced skills in editing or newsroom leadership experience
- A thorough understanding of the arts and hospitality industries in Melbourne
- Excellent attention to detail and sub-editing skills
- A desire to seek out and promote new voices alongside a team of freelance and staff journalists
- An understanding of defamation and intellectual property laws in Australia and their relevance to lifestyle journalism and critique
- The ability to learn new applications and software quickly
- Experience in using social media and SEO to grow new audiences and inspire existing audiences to engage more deeply with a range of content
- Limitless ideas for video, visual and written content, based on current and future trends, understanding audience desires and extensive Melbourne knowledge
- Strong relationship-building skills, relating to both internal and external stakeholders
- A passion for going out and spending time at events, parties, shows, exhibitions, restaurants, bars, galleries and more
- Experience in curating and creating electronic newsletters
Art Director, Time Out Australia
To apply for this position, you MUST email email@example.com including your CV, a cover letter, and a link to your portfolio of works. No applications via Seek, LinkedIn or any other means will be considered. Applications close Sep 27, 2021.
Time Out is the world’s most trusted brand in the what’s-on space and a major player in the local lifestyle publishing scene. TIme Out Australia is an award-winning, innovative and optimistic workplace driven by passionate people.
We’re looking for an Art Director to work from our Sydney office. The role will be responsible for the visual design, direction and production for all collateral for Time Out Australia. This will include commercial content, editorial, Instagram accounts, trade-facing collateral and video content. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Associate Publisher and in turn supervise a staff designer and a videographer; oversee the organisation of photography staff and contributors; and proactively work with all departments to achieve an efficient, collaborative working environment.
- Design and production to assist the commercial success of Time Out Australia, including commercial content, commercial mockups, trade-facing collateral, and Time Out’s media site.
- Generate lively, inspired visual solutions for digital design within Time Out brand guidelines.
- Design and produce templates for Time Out Australia’s social media accounts.
- Assist the wider team in image sourcing and composition.
- Delegating to a small team of designers and photographers, managing workloads and assigning tasks from multiple departments, and ensuring all work produced is up to the highest standards.
- Design and production of Time Out print products as required.
Personal attributes and essential skills
- At least 4 years design experience
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, AfterEffects, etc).
- Advanced digital design skills, with experience in newsletters, websites, social media and video.
- A willingness to innovate and learn new skills.
- A thorough understanding of fundamental design principles, with a firm knowledge of photography, typography, illustration and printing.
- Excellent time management skills, able to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic team-based environment.
- A passion for going out in the city.
- Experience in managing and nurturing other designers will be advantageous in this role.
- Experience in print design (magazines preferred) would also be an advantage.
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; and pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
We welcome approaches from eager professionals wishing to collaborate or work with Time Out. Feel free to email our Commercial Director Elise Bucholtz | firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe in a life of cultural exploration and social adventure. Time Out exists to inspire you to lead a richer life, to know your city, and to have more fun.
We live among the creators, the innovators, and the change makers. We promote and empower those driving positive cultural change.