“Partnering with Time Out to deliver Click for Vic content was of great pleasure. We needed to convey to our audiences that Click for Vic was more than a marketplace but of a series of inspirational destination pieces. The content helped inspire the reader to not only purchase from local makers and producers who needed support but also made them aware of Victoria's rich and diverse experiences. This in turn helped us to increase consideration amongst readers to plan a getaway to these areas.
Time Out was exceptional in being able to deliver on this brief with a series of articles and a custom-built hub featuring quintessential Victorian themes that resonate with both Time Out and Visit Victoria's audiences. We’ve loved seeing Time Out embrace Click for Vic as not just a campaign but also of a community-focused ethos to support Victorians and Victorian businesses. Their work has helped immensely to contribute to the amazing results of this campaign."
Scott Hugo, Manager - Market Development, Visit Victoria
Time Out also received direct feedback from businesses listed:
“I just wanted to give you and your team a massive THANK YOU! You recently included us in an article "Seven gift ideas that also support Victorian creatives" and it has resulted in a steady amount of traffic coming to our website.”
Nadja Bettin, House of Handmade
- Encourage Victorians to purchase online to support small businesses that were struggling due to the ongoing lockdown, and create a sense of community spirit.
- Showcase a variety of producers, products and makers, across both regional and metro Victoria to link an emotional connection to their regions and inspire consideration to visit the regions when restrictions end.
- Generate a high volume of reach, engagement and page views.
- A custom, interactive hub for Visit Victoria. We illustrated a beautiful page that acted as an online supermarket and housed the content series. Readers could hover over icons to be directed to bespoke content pieces promoting a variety of small businesses.
- A combination of bespoke content pieces and existing editorial content to create a comprehensive guide to shopping the region at home. The content themes included fresh produce, coffee, alcohol, self-care and gifts and pay-it-forward experiences.
- We utilised social products for targeted amplification and several dedicated newsletter products, which were sent out to our most dedicated and engaged readers. There was a strong display awareness component as well as our editorial team’s ongoing support.
How we worked
It was a true collaboration between several parties, both internal and external. We worked closely with Mediacom and upon sign off, worked directly with Visit Victoria for content creation. Visit Victoria was open-minded to all our ideas and to trying new things. They trusted us, our knowledge of our audience and how best to engage with them, such as our cheeky tone and use of wordplay.
It was an incredibly successful campaign and exceeded our expectations. The success of the first phase of the campaign spurred Visit Vic to work with us for Phase 2.
For the two campaign periods, Sep 18-Oct 20 and Nov 25-Jan 31, the Click for Vic custom hub attracted a total 20,067 page views for an average 2 mins dwell time, while Time Out’s content linking out from the hub received 242,708 page views.
On social (Facebook and Instagram) over 4.5m impressions were served, with over 1.8m reach and over 70k post interactions over the campaign live timings.
The projected social impressions for the campaign were exceeded by just over 70%. Pageviews on the content series exceeded expectations by 109%. In addition to the traffic that Time Out articles drove to Victorian businesses, Visit Victoria’s own site received 3,742 sessions from Time Out during the campaign period.
Time Out’s brand survey at the end of the campaign found that over 90% of those surveyed remembered seeing content featuring Visit Melbourne on Time Out Melbourne. Over 68% said they were likely to use the Visit Victoria website to plan a regional trip.
In September 2021, Time Out's Click for Vic campaign was nominated for the Mumbrella Publish Award for Best Publisher-Led Advertising Campaign.
Time Out says...
This campaign was a true testament to how successful a campaign can be if the client and publisher have a strong alignment in audience and objectives. Both Visit Victoria and Time Out are advocates for regional travel and the small businesses and communities that make our state great.
Insights into what makes Time Out’s audience tick also helped the campaign tremendously. It was fantastic to see how much the campaign and content resonated with our readers.
This campaign also showed how smooth and effective campaigns can be when there is a strong, positive working relationship between stakeholders.
What can we do for you?